Our self-advocacy project success
Since the second visit of consultants from Down syndrome International (DSi) to Nigeria in June 2019 our self-advocacy group has expanded to include 19 self-advocates with Down syndrome.
Our self-advocacy group met has met 21 times as well as coming together for specific advocacy activities. We have covered a broad range of subjects in our meetings, including:
- the history of the disability movement in Nigeria;
- how to express your feelings and opinions;
- how to make a complaint;
- being assertive rather than aggressive or passive;
- understanding choices and decision making and
- speaking up (being good at self-advocacy).
Read more on our project success with DSi on https://www.ds-int.org/blog/nigeria-self-advocacy-project-success